Supporting God’s Call on Your Husband’s Life

Before Will and I got married, he told me that God had placed a very specific calling on his life. He told me, very plainly, that he was called to preach the gospel, to be a pastor (and that if I weren’t planning to marry him and be his wife, there wasn’t any point in us dating!). As a 17-year-old girl, you can imagine my surprise, but I admired his boldness and saw a man who had a huge heart for God, incredible knowledge of His Word, and a hunger that couldn’t be satisfied. This man answered my questions and my doubts with incredible patience and outright excitement. I married him.

Fast forward two years to a Sunday morning in the church where we met. A pastor from another country, who is very near and dear to our hearts, announced that he would like everyone who felt called to pastor to come to the front for prayer. My husband and one other couple stood and went forward. I sat comfortably in my chair. As Pastor Suarez was praying, I knew I should have gone with him. After all, if that was the calling God had placed on his life and I was called to be his wife, then we were in it together.

But at the time, I didn’t feel like God had placed ANY calling on me. It wasn’t until a few years later (when I realized the actual relationship with God was the key) and lots of seeking that God filled me in. He told me my first calling was to be a Godly wife. My second to be a Godly mother, and third, a speaker of His gospel. (I surely never thought THAT would be the calling He gave me.)

So, I made it my mission to support Will in his calling, which just happens to also be his greatest passion- preaching the Word. And while God hasn’t yet given us a platform on which to preach it, while we wait on His timing and His placement, here are five ways I try to support and help my Studmuffin grow and learn in his calling:

1.) Pray For Him

Men are our protectors and providers. They carry the burdens of the family and guide us spiritually. On top of family life, they have work, they have church, they have just as many things on their plates as we women do. So we MUST lift them in prayer. I pray for him to have wisdom. I pray for him to have patience. I pray for him to resist temptation in all areas and for him to listen for the voice of God. I pray for his safety. My goal is for him to always be built up in prayer. Even if you’re running late in the mornings, when you’re stuck in traffic, just pray a two-sentence prayer over him. God hears our smallest prayers just as well as our elaborate ones. You’ll be glad you did.

2.) Remind him who he is.

When God places a calling on us, it doesn’t always manifest immediately. Whether your calling is to be a mother, a Godly entrepreneur, or a Pastor, these callings are all important and they don’t always happen when we want it to. So we wait. Or we are thrust into it. Either way, he WILL get discouraged. Remind him. Remind him who is in control. Remind him why God called him. Remind him why you married him. Remind him that He is who God says he is. Remind him that he has a loving wife and a loving God who both believe in him immensely. Remind him. Then remind him again. Then pray WITH him.

3.) Speak goodness TO him and ABOUT him.

In our culture, it seems to be the thing to speak ill of husbands, and really, men in general. We sit with our girlfriends and tell them the latest faux pas our husband has committed and roll our eyes at the stupidity of men. Don’t. My husband is my other half. My covenant partner. I should treat him as such. Speak good things about him to your friends, to your family. Praise him in public. Then praise him in private. Remind him.

4.) Encourage his passion.

It used to irk me that my husband seemed to have NO hobbies at all. Seriously. He isn’t a music person. Not a sports fanatic. Doesn’t have a large circle of friends (neither do I). Isn’t a fisherman or a hunter. It took me YEARS to realize that he has two hobbies: Jesus and Business. Those two things, once he starts talking, he can’t stop. And while generally a quiet person, he has this incredible wealth of information and an eagerness to share it with anyone who will listen. How do I encourage that? I get him books and teachings. I talk about business ideas and marketing with him. I ask him questions about these things. For Christmas, I bought him a CD on entrepreneurial leadership. Today, I went to the book store and bought three books: one on Grace, one on mentorship, and one on pastoring. My goal is to feed his passion. And I find that I learn so much from him by listening to him.

5.) Become the wife of a man who is called to that position/calling.

This has been one of my biggest focuses: myself. I’ve been asking God to prepare MY heart as well. Make me gentler. Make me an encourager. Make me a listener. Give me a heart for God and a heart for His people. Make me into the wife my husband needs.
I’d love to hear what you do to encourage your husband’s call.

Love to my loves,

Cate

For more encouragement from Mary From Martha, follow us HERE on Facebook.

21 thoughts on “Supporting God’s Call on Your Husband’s Life

1. Chris Carter (@themomcafe) says:

This is just beautiful- and so full of truth! I love your encouragement for us wives to support our husbands and nourish their passions and their worth. YES! I work on this daily- and I agree that we women are called to lift UP our husbands, speak well of them and respect who they are- it takes effort and patience and faith to be those things for our husbands. It is a calling I love and take very seriously.

I just adore your husband’s heart for the Lord! WOW. I just know God’s plan is a mighty one for him, in perfect time- your husband will lead a flock with His purpose, and you by his side. God bless you both in this journey together!

Liked by 1 person

2. Caitlin says:

I LOVE the comment about speaking goodness to him and ABOUT him. So, so good!

My hubs is a dreamer and I oftentimes find myself (almost unawares!) being unsupportive of his newest dream because I like my stability, man! But he’s the best, and he deserves my full support. Thanks for the reminder! ❀

Liked by 1 person

• Cate Purvis says:

Mine is a dreamer, too, girl. He’s ALWAYS throwing out a new idea. I’m the same way with liking stability! And I’ve found that his goals in tossing out new ideas are to provide more stability. It’s fun to dream with him!

Liked by 1 person

3. Emsusanna says:

This was great! Well written, Cate! πŸ™‚ I think those five points you made are so crucial. I loved the one about reminding him who he is, and also the one about speaking highly of him, especially to the public. It sets forth an example of a Godly wife. God can use our marriages to shine a light, and I think you’ve really nailed these points. Happy Easter to you and your husband! πŸ™‚

-Emma

Liked by 1 person

4. Andrea says:

Great insight and wisdom here, Cate. I concur with each of your points of encouragement in how you support your husband. I would add, “ask questions”. I say that because my husband isn’t a talker, which is strange because his gifting is teaching. πŸ™‚ We are both hardcore introverts and actually have a tough time communicating. Asking questions is crucial for us.

• Cate Purvis says:

That’s an AWESOME one! Asking questions is huge!!! I tend to forget that because I’m a super extrovert, but my Studmuffin is not! Thanks!

5. Annie says:

This was so beautiful! And honestly, refreshing to hear how you experienced this calling as a couple — especially considering that you weren’t feeling it for a while! I think that’s just so common, but we don’t talk enough about it πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

6. Annie Deddens says:

That’s just so beautiful to hear, and refreshing — considering that you experienced the call in different ways and at different times. I think that’s just so common for couples, but it’s something we don’t talk a lot about. Thank you for writing this!

Liked by 1 person

7. Sim says:

Thank you and yes! This is so true. In my case I felt the Lord reminding me I am his helpmeet. My job is to help him meet the goals the Lord has set for him. Thank you so much for this reminder.

Liked by 1 person

8. LaKisha Riddick says:

Excellent post! As wives, we have the power to build our husbands up or tear them down. Your post gives great ways for us to build them up to fulfill their god given purpose. When we do this for our husbands, they are empowered to to help us to fulfill our purpose too. Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

9. Stacey says:

I completely agree with speaking goodness ABOUT your husband. I try to do a good job of this, but I don’t always succeed. My husband came to visit me the other day at work and someone commented to him about how he needed take me out to dinner to make up for losing my keys a few days earlier. It was something I had said to them without thinking and it formed their entire (negative) opinion of my husband! I was so embarrassed!

Liked by 1 person

• Cate Purvis says:

Oh, wow! I’m sorry. I kind of chuckled a little bit because I’ve done the same thing before And it is embarrassing, but it definitely does open up our eyes to what we are saying. πŸ™‚

10. Gina Poirier says:

This is a fantastic postβ€”all wives are definitely called to this! I know my husband is always very encouraged whenever I support him in these ways, and it’s easy to forget sometimes what a big help we can be.

Liked by 1 person

11. Hannah Mae says:

I am so glad you put number 3 in there. My great grandmother told my parents not to speak bad about your spouse to other people, and it’s one rule I’ve tried my hardest to follow in my relationship (although we’re not married yet). I feel like this kind of husband shaming goes on too often for ridiculous things that just forms unnecessary negative opinions.

Liked by 1 person

Leave Me Your Thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s