An Open Letter to Target: Regarding your New Restroom Policy

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a woman. I am a frequent shopper in your stores. I am first and foremost a mother. Your recent change in policy of who you allow to use each restroom concerns me. You stated in your blog post, “We believe that everyone…deserves to be protected from discrimination and treated equally.” and “…you’ll always be accepted, respected, and welcomed at Target.” As a business owner, I do understand your right to make a stance as a company. As a parent, I will never understand why you would trade the safety of our women and children for the sake of not hurting  feelings.

I realize that everyone needs to feel accepted, loved, and wanted. I know the struggles of a person struggling to find their identity. I also know that as of September 2012, a Gallup poll showed that approximately 3.4% of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. If, for argument’s sake, we assume that those groups are of equal representation in that number, that would indicate that of the American population, only 0.85% of Americans identify as transgender.

Let’s also look at other statistics, taken from RAINN.ORG:

1 in 6 women will be the victim of attempted or completed rape in her lifetime.

1 in 9 girls under 18 have REPORTED being the victim of sexual assault.

1 in 53 boys under 18 have REPORTED being the victim of sexual assault.

These numbers factor out to being 16.67% of women, 11.11% of girls, and 1.89% of boys.

If anyone is allowed to “claim” an identity of a gender not their own, they will have unlimited access to anyone they so choose. A woman could claim to “identify as a man” and YOUR little boy could become 1 in 9 in an instant. A man could claim to “identity as a woman” and have instant access to myself and my daughters. BAM. I am 1 in 6 and my little girls are 1 in 9.

You have taken the FEELINGS of LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of our population into account  and in one swift statement told the entire country that the safety of our vulnerable women and children is of no concern to you or your staff.

I have questions:

How can you ensure that the people entering the restrooms of the opposite gender are, indeed, of the “gender persuasion” they are currently claiming to identify with?

Are you willing to send your wives and daughters into a restroom that is occupied by another man and trust that he is who he says he is? How about your son with a  woman?

How should I handle an instance where my two and four year olds see a man’s private parts and I have to explain a) why she saw his genitals and b) why is in a women’s restroom long before they should ever have to consider such adult matters?

And, lastly:

WHY are you willing to forego the physical safety of the many to appease the internal struggle of the few?

I’ve never “boycotted” a company based on political views. However, I will refuse to use a company for the safety of my children.

Target, you have lost a loyal customer because you have betrayed my trust. My children’s safety comes first.

To see where I stand on the struggle of transgender individuals, I ask that you read THIS. And please know, I love you. Jesus loves you.

This letter isn’t a statement in fear of Transgenders. It is a worry of people who are NOT claiming they ARE. ā¤ļø
To hear my latest interview on BroadsCas regarding this subject and post, click HERE.

Cate
For more Mary From Martha, check us out  on Facebook HERE.

Due to some very ugly comments and this being a heated topic, I have turned the comments feature off.

28 thoughts on “An Open Letter to Target: Regarding your New Restroom Policy

1. thereelbee says:

I’m sorry I have to respectfully disagree with you. I am a mother as well, and although it may make me uneasy to see a man in the “women’s” restroom, a lot of things made me uneasy the first time I witnessed them. I think a lot of people are, as you said in your post, afraid of their children witnessing a man’s genitals. In what women’s restroom have you been subjected to nudity? Just because a trans person can now use the gender restroom that they identify with, doesn’t mean companies like Target will start tearing down the walls of the stalls and it becomes a free-for-all. I know new cultural happenings can be scary. I have a young son who insists on using the Men’s room. He doesn’t want to be caught dead in the Women’s room. Well I’ll be darned if I’m going to send my kid into the bathroom where some sicko is going to be grabbing him or something. So I knock on the door, announce my presence and send him on in while standing by the door waiting. He does his business and we leave. Do I get funny looks? Absolutely. But my point is that they are in just as much danger when the same genders are using like restrooms. Trans people are not personally responsible for the statistics of rape and sexual abuse. In fact, more boys are sexually molested than girls (unreported and reported) because they are less likely to tell.

In summation, I completely understand being cautious and afraid of the unknown. I know it seems that it will open the floodgates to anarchy and things will fall apart and everyone will get assaulted or marry a goat or something…but I can assure you that it would have a very minuscule effect on you personally, and if heaven forbid something did ever happen it wouldn’t be because the person is transgender. It would be because the person was a sick individual. As a society, we have got to stop reacting to the subject of rape and start being proactive. Instead of staying away from all people who are different or outside of our beliefs for fear of being raped, why don’t we just stop the sexualization and objectification of people in our society, ya know? Instead of saying, “Trans people might be rapists. Stay away from those people.” why don’t we just teach our children not to be assholes? That would pretty much solve most of the problem.

I fully support you boycotting Target, I don’t want you to think that I am attacking you. This is just my opinion. I appreciate your writing and it was an interesting thing to read the other side of the argument. Have a great day šŸ™‚

Liked by 76 people

• truthbetold says:

I think the point here is that this is an open door to people who “say” they are transgender. It’s not a prejudice against transgenders. And btw, the men’s bathrooms have urinals that are open and do not always protect the privacy of those using them. The solution I see would be to provide a unisex single bathroom, since there is only a slight percentage of those who relate to being transgender, it would also allow mothers & fathers to assist there small children of the opposite gender. And would allow individuals to choose without it being forced upon them.

Liked by 47 people

• Carie says:

You completely missed the point. She never said transgendered people were rapists. She said because of Targer making this stance, people who are not transgendered, will be able to claim they are transgendered and go into the restroom to get a “peek” at who they actually prefer. The company can’t afford to have someone standing at the door checking your “gender identity” card! What will come next is urinals being installed in every bathroom so as to make it more comfortable for everyone to use the bathroom they please. Watch it play out. But even if you again with this stance you have to admit that bowing to less than 1 % of the population is ludicrous! 43% of American females fall under the label of petite. I am in that 43%. Maybe I should demand that Target lower every shelf in their store to accomodate my height. It would make me feel better about myself. I could claim I feel discriminated against, I was born this way!. But I would never do that. I would never ask 57% of the population to deal with my demands. I move on, I adapt, I ask taller people to reach things on shelves even though it’s embarrassing. See the point???

Liked by 42 people

2. kage2015 says:

Non of my children were ever allowed to go into a public restroom alone. I am armed and will defend myself at any and all time. This being said I am not going to stop others who may be DIFFERENT from using the restroom. They have stalls.

Liked by 20 people

3. Anna Andrea says:

I AGREE- I am not a mother but I am a sister and a women…. that’s the first thing when I read about the transgender bathroom situation. What about those crazy rapists and serial killers?!!?!?!?!?! It shocks me… it makes me super sad. We need to PRAY WAAAY MORE.

Liked by 18 people

4. Norma Gail Thurston Holtman says:

This is such a frightening situation. We need to band together to fight for our rights to be protected. In today’s society everyone has rights but the every day citizen seeking to live their life without hurting anyone. To protect everyone’s rights there should be a special restroom or locker room for transgender people so they are also safe. Allowing them with women is unconscionable.

Liked by 10 people

5. DeAnna says:

Thank you for mentioning how it could be ladies and little boys!! I am a mother to two boys and since I’ve heard of this I’ve not feared for my own safety as that of my two boys. You are the only one I have seen that has stated the facts for boys, yes I know it probably happens more to girls but the fact remains- moms to boys should be concerned too! Praise you for speaking up!

Liked by 7 people

6. Katelin says:

Absolutely agree. There are two people in my household who hold Target cards. One has already purposef to cut up her cards and the second is contemplating. As you pointed out, politics are not a battle for children. Restrooms were never separated for discrimination, hurt feelings, or politics, but to ensure safety for all parties using them. Praying that Target will feel the consequences of their blatant disregard for the Word of God and the safety of His children in our broken world.

Liked by 9 people

7. Mihaela Echols says:

No one thinks of rights for the victims anymore. And a lot of store are going to lose shoppers now. I know restaurants and stores are going to lose me if they go forward with this.

Liked by 7 people

8. Amy barnett says:

I see your points but every Target has a private bathroom by the pharmacy if you’d rather use that. Letting fear of something bad lurking around the corner will eventually turn your faith in humanity into stone. Plus, according to RAINN.org, 4 out of 5 assaults are committed by someone known to the victim. Today’s world is no different than how it was when we were kids. It’s just talked about now and the people who were forced to mask their true identities because they’d be viewed as sexual predators are given the right to use the bathrooms that they identify with. Unfortunately, it’s obvious that some still view transgendered individuals as possible sexual predators without probable cause…

Liked by 13 people

• cindy ursery says:

It’s not so much the trans.It’s the sickos who pretend to be trans that are up to no good.I have read alot of comments and so many trans,ect.seem to keep missing this point.Why risk one incident?Just one crazy will put a stop to this.Have a restroom for them and whoever wants to use it.This world has gotten to be a place where you cant trust anyone you dont know.Some of the people you know you cant trust.Its a sad fact.25 yrs.from now this maybe the norm along with alot of other things that people don’t agree with now,but its not the norm for a lot of Americans now.

Liked by 4 people

9. Brianna says:

He would in fact have to prove he actually identifies as female and have to show doctors statements where he has actually talked to someone about furthering his transition. It’s not that simple. You can’t just claim to be a female and get a way with perverted things. There is more behind transitioning than just saying it.

Liked by 8 people

10. Melissa says:

All a pedophile, peeping Tom or general creep has to do now is claim he’s a transgender individual or wear a bra and our “let’s-not-offend-anyone” society will hand you a golden key to the place women, girls, and little boys are most vulnerable. Honestly, I’m not worried about the transgendered. I’m worried about those in wolves clothing.

Liked by 12 people

11. Carrie Anderson-Woman Apologist says:

I’m with you, Cate. No more Target for me! Just FYI, the person behind the NC movement to make this state law was a convicted pedophile. (The LGBTQ community there has since removed him as organizer).

I’m a mom of 4. I’ve never allowed my children to use public restrooms by themselves, until they were big enough to defend themselves in some sort of capacity. (My youngest is 8 and does not go without me).

Be blessed, sister!

Liked by 8 people

12. Dana says:

I agree with you Cate, no more target for me.it’s not the transgenders I worry about, it’s the ones who will now start pretending to be transgender to sexually attack and assult others.

Liked by 9 people